Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's late

I was very eager to get out of Midland in the summer and I wasn't excited to go back last Friday and now I'm back in East Lansing and very happy. Ironically Angie is going to Midland this Friday right after I go back myself for a reunion of my high school journalism staff. I loved those kids a lot but I think I've moved on from my high school paper and it's going to be strange to see everyone again, because college changes people. I can't imagine what it will be like four years from now, but even a semester away from Midland can offer a world of change. The four days I spent at home ended up being a lot nicer than I expected but seeing people that still live in Midland and are just very naive as a result of living at their parents houses in a small white conservative town and going to community college made me remember why I was so desperate to get away from home. At the same time going back and going around town on my own I did remember that I appreciate it, it was a good place to grow up but the people will get to you after a while.

Tonight was a good night, watching Almost Famous which is always good no matter how many times you watch it and shooting hockey (we lost the game which apparently has become a pattern) and just being back in East Lansing. I've gotten really attached to here and I'm glad I'll be here for the next four or five or however many years it takes me to graduate. I love the people here. It's snowing a lot right now and I'm sitting in Angie's living room thinking about going to sleep but thinking about a lot of other things that will keep me from falling asleep for a while. My first semester at college went well and I love it here but there's a lot of things I need to do differently and I think it just takes time to learn about myself and living on my own and what my priorities need to be. I did some stupid things but a good friend told me at the beginning of the year to have no regrets and I'm not going to regret things, just learn from them.

No comments: