Friday, March 6, 2009

Dave's show (for Cathy?)





Meesh's baby and Dave looking awkward.



This kid is the owner of the studio's daughter. She is the cutest thing ever. When her dad left her alone with Dave for a minute he said "Don't kill Dave okay?" and she cackled.


She is about as cute as Elorie, except 20 years older.




Meeting the parents.



(Dear Cathy,

I am not sure that I believe that you read my blog. But in case you do here are pictures of Dave's show. In case you don't, everyone else who reads my blog can see them.)

The women's basketball team lost their first game and are out of the tournament, it's a little bit disappointing because I honestly wasn't expecting them to lose and I was counting on a full weekend of working. I suppose I shouldn't be complaining that I get to relax and rest for a couple more days rather than rush around shooting basketball, but I would much rather be working every day of spring break than doing nothing, which is what I will be doing. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, or my career, or at least with my college life at the moment, and I'm being pulled in so many different directions I'm not sure who to listen to. The people who's opinions I trust the most tell me I need to figure things out for myself. I talked with Lorenna tonight about it and she said "Do what makes you happy and do something no one else is doing, create something that people would miss." She works with clay, and she and Dave have the starving artist thing down pretty well. They love what they do and they would do it without the shows and the money. They're good people to learn from.

I feel like I've strayed a bit from my days as an artist, but I need to find ways to make my photography an art the way I do with my writing. I've found that when I'm taking pictures for myself, or of something I enjoy shooting, I do my best work because I'm not working, I'm just shooting. The debate between photo and writing will never end, and I'll never be satisfied as long as those in authority are making me choose one or the other. In a perfect world I could do both, but I guess I need to decide between them, and it's not easy and it's kind of messy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Gabi...yes I do periodically read your blog - but don't worry - "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" (or, your secrets are safe with me!! =) I LOVE your photos - you have a great eye and I am in awe of the different things you photograph that I would never think to take a picture of!! One of my favorites is the one of someone's feet jumping off the pavement! I wish I was more creative in that aspect! If you rather I not read, let me know, I will respect your wishes...otherwise - be yourself...do what you want...enjoy your college years (I know I did mine!!)...and eventually everything will fall into place. Believe it or not - you will end up where you are supposed to be. Hope you are enjoying your break - and all of grandmas food (don't forget the girl scout cookies!!) Cathy